Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fabulous Party Cakes - Classes

I'll be teaching Fabulous Party Cakes, a demo class, at Shermay's Cooking School on 8 May 2010 (Saturday), 9 May 2010 (Sunday), 22 May 2010 (Saturday) and 23 May 2010 (Sunday). For all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or 6479 8414, or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

If there's one thing I've observed many of the lovely ladies who attend my classes have in common, it's their devotion to their nearest and dearest. Really, why else bake a cake when you can buy a cake? It's a labour of love, and that's the long and short of it. I am always in awe of how these ladies manage to juggle work and family so graciously. They don't merely manage a household; they manage to find time and energy in their superhuman schedules to not just feed their families, but feed them handsomely. And to make time to bake on top of all that? Why, that's just the icing on the cake. Amazing grace, truly.

It is this coterie of very special people who inspired this particular class. Some are avid bakers. Some, weekend bakers. And yet others, don't bake as often as they would like to, life has a habit of getting in the way. All, however, make it a point to when there's an occasion to celebrate. From birthdays to anniversaries, there is nothing that says an occasion is special like cake lovingly crafted from scratch does. As they say, you can take the party out of a cake, but there's no taking the cake out of a party.

OK, I just made that last line up. Secretly, guiltily, sheepishly watching Jersey Shore has made the saying that is actually said a real truism. Half horrifying, half hilarious, 100% addictive - the very definition of morbidly fascinating. But I digress.

On the menu:

Peanut Butter Sandcastle Bundt A scrumptious and stunning cake peanut butter-lovers will absolutely swoon for. Replete with seashells and other fun-in-the-sun accents moulded from Peanut Butter Putty, an edible “clay” you can shape and manipulate the same way you would handle fondant or marzipan.

Lemon Honey Beehive Cake Big and beautiful, fragrant and moist, this honeyed number will set your next party abuzz!

PS: Yes, not terribly anatomically correct, no stingers and all. But having actually been stung before, the only way I can reconcile my phobia with my love of honey is to anthropomorphize!

Very Berry + Very Chocolatey Shortcake Baskets Chocolate shortcake baskets (using Valrhona Manjari 64% Dark Chocolate) holding a bounty of ripe, juicy macerated berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries can all work here)

can be as adorable as they are delectable.

Miniature Tiered Cakes Create a fabulous collection of decorated miniature tiered cakes based on the perfect yellow layer cake recipe.
I will have more details up soon on the bonus sections of the recipe pack (see here or here for a preview) covering the subject of miniature cakes - designs and techniques demonstrated at class will include a comprehensive selection from this material, with the extent depending on time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:19 pm, May 09, 2010  
Anonymous Julie said...

really... it's so cute, I don't think I could eat them!

11:48 pm, May 15, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh damn.... super cute!

12:32 pm, September 04, 2010  
Blogger cristina said...

Joycelyn, congratulations!!! I love your blog, since the first time I found about it while googling for a Mont Blanc Vacherin recipe more than two years ago, I'm completely addicted to your posts and pics. I can´t think of one I haven´t loved.
I'm a spanish food enthusiast who'd be in every one of your classes if Singapore wasn´t so far away from Madrid. Haven´t you thought of giving online courses? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to it.
Once again, congratulations.

Cristina

9:54 pm, September 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home